Have you ever wanted to know what your future holds? Would you like some guidance about who to be with or even which career to take up? If that’s you, then astrology may be just the hobby for you.
Astrology is a pretty exciting hobby that’s sure to change your life. If you’d like to try it out, here’s all you need to know to get started.
What is astrology?
Astrology is a hobby that comes from the belief that a person’s mood, interests, or personality can be affected by the stars and planets’ alignment in a certain way.
This alignment of stars affects an individual based on their birthday.
Astrologers group people born in specific periods together to form zodiac signs- these signs are the basis for predicting people’s lives and destinies.
Astrology also studies the movements of celestial things. People have long studied the skies to search for meaning.
Some of the oldest references to astrology can be traced back to ancient times as far back as 1700 BCE.
What makes astrology a worthwhile hobby?
Helps in self-awareness
Astrology helps people become more aware of their own strengths and weaknesses.
This awareness helps to improve self-acceptance encouraging you to truly be yourself.
Understanding who you are can improve your interactions with other people.
It also changes your world-view. On that note, it’s important to understand that your birth chart is not set in stone; that’s why getting a read from someone else may not be enough.
Practicing astrology keeps you aligned with any changes in your birth chart, so you stay focused on self-improvement.
Clarity on situations
Sometimes life can present you with lots of confusing circumstances.
It’s easy to get bogged down by the craziness of it all. Astrology gives you the option to think beyond the present.
It can help change your perception of what you are going through.
It also gives you a future orientation which enables you to deal with bad situations better.
Choosing different options
Choices are sometimes the hardest thing you ever have to do.
Choosing a career path like whether to relocate to a new town or simple things like the color of your clothes can all be a bit taxing.
There’s always the fear that you might make a horrible decision.
For those who believe in astrology, it helps make your decision-making a less stressful process.
Knowing the planetary alignments and what they mean to your decisions gives you the confidence you need.
Dealing with any relationship can be complicated.
Whether it’s a romantic or family relationship navigating associations can sometimes be a challenge.
Comparing the birth charts of two individuals can help you dig deeper into the hidden dynamics affecting that relationship.
Astrology, therefore, helps to form stronger associations.
You can turn it into a trade
Once you know all the nooks and crannies of astrological readings, you can make a living out of it.
Plenty of people are eager to get some guidance in their lives, so you can set up a practice as an astrologer.
Stimulates your mind
Learning all the symbols and signs can be a complicated task that is enough to stimulate your mind.
The depth of mental exercise required for astrology will help keep your mind sharp and enhance your memory.
Most important of all, astrology is a fun hobby. You get to spend your time doing something meaningful which can be relaxing at the same time.
All the excitement is enough to make it a favorite pastime.
Which types of astrology can I learn?
Astrology has evolved over the years, and so have the types of astrology practiced in the present day.
Long ago, people used to practice different forms like Mundane astrology, which was used to predict disasters.
Nowadays there are mainly three types of astrology in practice.
Vedic astrology is also called Hindu astrology, and it borrows from the spiritual practices of ancient Indian traditions.
This form of astrology is closely related to other hobbies like yoga.
It incorporates the study of how planets move to give a deeper understanding of human experiences, including spiritual, physical, and emotional factors.
The Vedic zodiac signs are pretty much the same as all the others but have slightly different dates.
Western astrology borrows from Babylonian culture. Its predictions are based on a horoscope at a fixed moment in time, for example, when someone is born.
It also divides the signs into twelve. These signs are used to explain different events or personality traits based on the relationship of the Earth to certain positions in the planets and the seasons.
Based on ancient Chinese traditions, the Chinese version of astrology also has twelve signs of the zodiac.
An animal represents each sign; this animal will determine events or certain traits in an individual’s life.
However, unlike the other forms of astrology, where the zodiac seasons last for four weeks, in Chinese astrology, each zodiac season lasts the whole year.
Each year is ruled by a sign which is derived from five components of cosmology.
The cosmology behind each sign means that each cycle of celestial movements lasts for 60 years.
How to start learning astrology
To practice astrology, you will need to learn more about the symbols and what they mean.
Astrology deals a lot with signs and planets. You will need to dig deeper into these symbols and how to interpret them.
Once you figure out the basics, you progress to learning more about charts.
Astrologists use birth charts to understand more about the traits and personalities of different people.
You can start by studying your birth chart and then move on to your family and friends as you get the knack for it.
The most important thing is to keep reading, learning, and practicing. You might have to make some flashcards to help you remember.
It can be quite confusing when you’re just starting, but you will develop a more profound understanding with time.
Your local Geocosmic Research Council is a great place to access lots of awesome resources.
Find the nearest one to you and become a member.
It gives you the chance to interact with like-minded astrologists so you can learn faster.
Another way to learn from others is to find some social media groups that talk about astrology.
For instance, you can join a group on Facebook or Reddit so you can ask questions and benefit from other people’s points of view.
As part of your learning process, think about getting an astrology calendar to experience planetary patterns on your own.
If you’re a beginner, it might be complicated to understand what it’s all about; that’s why it may be necessary to connect with a more experienced astrologer to give you some guidance.
Visiting your local library will give you access to tons of great resources.
Remember this hobby it’s quite ancient, so there is bound to be plenty of books on the subject.
Bottom line, to practice astrology; you need to learn as much as you can.
It might all be complicated when you’re just starting, but if you keep at it, you will soon master all you need to know.
Can you learn astrology on your own?
If you commit the time and energy to learn all the basics, you can get to a good start on your own.
If you find all the useful resources you can and immerse yourself in the study, there’s nothing to stop you.
However, it may take you considerably longer for you to do it on your own.
It would be better to find online portals or astrology schools to learn with more experienced practitioners’ guidance.
One great resource is the astrologydictionary.com; this will offer you all the basics that you need to get started.
There are plenty of terms that are peculiar to astrology which you will come across.
The dictionary will give you an essential guide to better understand all the important terms.
Some of the terms that you will come across include:
- Aspects: This is when the planets form an angle with one another, with the sun or the Earth forming the central part of the relationship. Their energies are said to work together in agreement or move in discord. When they agree, it can mean good things for you.
- Elements: The elements describe how the universe is constituted. Astrology says there are four elements, namely, fire, air, water, and Earth. These elements are present in every individual and are responsible for each person’s personality.
For example, if one has more of the fire element, they tend to be more spontaneous and lively.
On the other hand, people who have a very strong earth element tend to be less emotional and react much slower.
- Natal or birth chart: This is what astrologers call a map of any individual’s life. It shows what the stars and planets say about an individual and their destiny in life.
- Planetary rulers: These are the planets that rule over each star sign
- Zodiac: This talks about a circle divided into twelve equal parts. Each part of the circle represents an astrology sign.
Useful astrology resources
Below you’ll find a few useful resources to start learning the concepts of astrology.
- Astrolibrary.org: On this site, you’ll find free ebooks where you can start reading about astrology and how it works.
- Astralibrary.org also has a portal that offers lessons. The lessons are perfect for both beginners and more advanced practitioners. You will find all the definitions that you need as well as clear explanations on the symbols to help you figure everything out
- Mountain astrologer.com: Here, you’ll find an astrology magazine that offers reliable information. The magazine can be a great starting point for you to learn the practice.
- Astro.com: This is another free platform where you can download PDFs to read on your own time to help you learn more about the ins and outs of astrology.
- Always astrology.com: This is another online learning portal that offers free lessons. When you complete the lessons, you will have to pass a test to show that you’ve mastered the concepts. The site also gives you free birth charts. On top of that, it will explain how the signs work.
Is astrology a science?
Astrology is both a science and an art. That’s because the understanding of astronomy, the stars and the planets take a scientific form.
You will need a bit of mathematics to understand the planetary alignments and how everything fits together.
On the other hand, many of the predictions and bringing together all the ideas and aspects need some artistic interpretation.
What do I need to get started in astrology?
- Astrological planner: This will help you apply what you are learning to your personal life. It helps you go deeper in the journey of learning astrology.
- Tarot cards: There’s no better way of learning than to apply your knowledge to real readings.
- Natal charts guidebook: To start expanding your knowledge, you will need to buy a guidebook to help you walk through the process of understanding your birth chart at a personal level
- Books and guides: You will obviously need to do a lot of reading and learning, especially in your early days. And even as you get more advanced, you will continue to gain more advanced knowledge about astrology. It’s important to invest in a few guides and books to improve your mastery of the hobby.
You may not necessarily need to get a whole library when you’re just starting out, but as you grow in the hobby, you will most likely start growing your collection as you learn more and more about it.
To sum up
Astrology is fun and entertaining, but it’s also a useful hobby.
It has lots of amazing benefits, and if you stick with it, you can turn it into a lucrative business.
Most importantly, it will give you a deeper understanding of yourself and your role within the universe, all while improving your relationships.