When out foraging, having the space required to carry all of what you find back home is a crucial aspect when considering what equipment to bring.
If you have found yourself out with a foraging pouch or basket but need that bit of extra carrying space to make sure you can forage as much as possible, then maybe you should invest in a foraging bag.
Within this article, we will go over some great Foraging Bags that you may want to consider as your next foraging investment, and we will also give you some information on what to look out for when purchasing a new foraging bag.
Top 5 Foraging Bags
5. Most Popular
4. Fan Favorite
- Gathering Bag- Offers versatility in use, wearing, emptying and care. Its convertible straps allow for comfortable chest or back carrying, while its drop-out bottom makes quick work of emptying the harvest
- Constructed of weather- and water-resistant paraffin waxed canvas and complete with a watertight removable liner, the Gathering Bag is the essential foraging and harvesting partner
- Versatile foraging bag: This Gardening bag is made of waxed canvas material, making it perfect for collecting a variety of items from the outdoors. Its versatile design makes it useful for a variety of activities
3. Budget Option
- STOW IT ANYWHERE – Soft collapsing sides and bottom with stiff rope rim doesn’t corrode. Folding premium canvas bucket crushes to save space when not being used.
- USE IT FOR DRY STORAGE – HANDLE WRAPS ONTO BARS, handrails, handles, and MORE. The perfect fishing caddy and marine sail bag that won’t go overboard. CLIPS or CARABINERS not required.
- RIM stays open when bucket is full, and constructed using TOP QUALITY PREMIUM CANVAS bucket construction.
2. Editor’s Choice
- Handwaxed Canvas- Very Durable
- 16″ x 16″ in size – Great for day hikes
- Flap closure with adjustable Strap
- Grab handle | Pack-frame strap on back
1. Must-have Option
- Enjoy hands free harvesting and weeding with this easy to wear gardening apron. Large canvas front fill pouch pocket with two large hooks for easy loading and emptying.
- Allows your hips to carry the load, instead of your neck, as with traditional harvest aprons – Can also be worn as a side satchel.
- Replace hard to hold baskets and containers when picking apples, cherries, blueberries, and vegetables and create your own kangaroo pouch
Buyer’s Guide: Foraging Bags
How much are Foraging Bags?
Price is often an important factor in deciding whether or not you will buy a product. Overpaying for a product is never something you want to do and so we will go over the average price of a foraging bag.
Most commonly you will find foraging bags in the price range of $30 to $50, and for this price, you will often be getting a good-quality product that should last you a long time.
There are of course products that will cost more than this. This could be because they are made out of more expensive materials, are bespoke, or are more specialized. You should consider whether this is something you wish to pay extra for.
What amount can a Foraging Bag hold?
One of the major concerns when looking for a piece of equipment you are to use for carrying items is how much that equipment can actually hold. You will want the foraging bag to meet your requirements for the type of foraging you do.
If you take shorter foraging trips then you may not be so concerned about storage, but for those who are foraging for a long time then you will likely want something with a lot of storage.
Most foraging bags will have a few liters worth of storage so you can take long foraging trips without much worry of running out of space.
What materials are Foraging Bags made out of?
Foraging bags can be made of various different materials to allow for different functions and levels of durability. Materials included in the construction of foraging bags can include mesh, leather, canvas, and plastics.
Mesh can be used to make a product lighter and breathable, this can be great for when you want your products to dry off if they were damp or to shake off loose dirt. This can prove especially useful on damp days out foraging when you would prefer your items to be dry upon your return.
Products with leather are great for durability, the canvas is also durable and can be waxed for waterproofing, and plastic can be a mix of durability and waterproofing. These materials are great for foraging in rainy conditions where you might be worried that the contents of your bag could get wet.
You may also find these materials used in combination to provide benefits from all of these and to make a more well-rounded product. These products will often be more expensive but this may be worth the added price.
So which materials your foraging bag is made of can change the functionality and longevity of the product, meaning it’s beneficial to consider what you want before you buy.
Will a Foraging Bag be durable?
When foraging, you will want equipment that can withstand some of the trials of nature. After all, you do not want to be out foraging and have your equipment fail on you.
Most foraging makes you buy will be durable, they use things like leather to provide a tough exterior, canvas can also provide similar benefits. Even less durable materials such as mesh or light plastics will still hold up fine when taken out foraging.
For foraging, you will find that most of the products you will see should hold up and last you a long time for your foraging.
How heavy will the Foraging Bag be?
The heaviness of carrying equipment can have a strain on your person when out foraging. So it is important that you have equipment that is light enough that you can carry it with you your whole foraging trip.
Most foraging bags will be no more than a couple of kilograms and so you should have no trouble using them for a day’s foraging.
Of course, as you fill-up the containers they will become heavier, but if you are concerned about them being too hard to carry there will be options that offer more support, therefore, easing the burden.
So you have to consider whether you want a lighter foraging bag that will be easier to carry or a heavier one that might allow you to carry more within it.
Are there many different designs of Foraging Bags?
Having a product that looks nice can go a long way towards your overall opinion of the product. After all, is it not always better to have a product with some visual appeal over a product without it.
There are plenty of different designs to choose from when it comes to foraging bags and this is due to them often having constructions that differ in quite large ways.
Whether you would prefer the rugged look of leather, the clean look of canvas, or the sleek mesh and plastics, there will be a foraging bag that is right for you.
In conclusion, there are a great many different foraging bags to match all possible styles and functions.
Many are durable and long-lasting and come in a whole host of shapes and sizes to allow you to choose one that is just right for you.
Hopefully, this article has been useful in showcasing some interesting foraging bags and giving you some information on what you should look out for when shopping around for one to buy.